Saturday, October 22, 2011

Diwali Inspirations

Ever year I plan on planning a really over-the-top Diwali celebration for our family, but every year Diwali creeps up on me (with so many other things going on during the Fall) and I run out of time to plan! :-)

So, this weekend, I'm going to be scrambling to pull things together. Here's what is inspiring me this year:

I found a FABULOUS new shop on Etsy. It's called Nirman and it's run by two sisters, Manisha and Priya, from the New York area. They have created a great alternative to traditional rangolis (usually made with colored powder and flour), using bright beads and crystals. These rangolis come pre-made, backed on clear plastic. So now you can use rangolis to decorate your home, even if you don't have an outdoor space! The other great thing about these rangolis is that they can be used over and over. I've ordered one for my house and can't wait for it to get here!! :-)





Check out these mini rangoli patterns made around small tealight candles, by RangDecor. Archana uses small metal stencil boxes that you find in India to create these rangolis by sifting/stamping a fine powder through the stencils. Another way to achieve this look would be to use chalk on a surface painted with chalk board paint or even black paper. 


I love these "kolam" patterns made on small pebbles, also from RangDecor. There's something very cathartic about the idea of "painting your prayers". 


Another Etsy find: I love these gorgeous diyas by turquioseme. Thank goodness for Etsy, without which it might be difficult to find diyas of this quality and beauty outside India! :-)




Indian sweets (meethai) are a staple of Diwali--talk about easy inspiration for a dessert table! For a fabulous ethnic-inspired dessert table, we needn't look much farther than the blog of my dear friend, Bird of Bird's Party. Since starting this blog, I have seen so many dessert tables; but, I have to admit, I'm still totally in awe of Bird's Bollywood Bling dessert table! I simply LOVE it. 



But I have a confession to make--I don't really like Indian sweets! He he! ;-)

So for those of us with an Indian heritage (but not an Indian palate), here are some yummy, Indian-inspired, western, sweet treats!

Chocolate diyas from TwoDotts. I think these would make great cupcake toppers too!


Diya-shaped cookies from Anjalis Designer Cookies


And how fabulous are these rangoli-inspired cookies from DessArts?!?!?!?! These really look too good to eat! 


For other ideas, see last year's Diwali Inspiration, Diwali recap and our Bollywood Karaoke Party




Happy Diwali and Sal Mubarak! 



2 comments:

  1. love the ideas! can't wait to see what you do at your house this week. Happy Diwali!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog!
    Come and check us out at http://aalayaminspiration.blogspot.com

    I am planning on doing a Diwali inspiration post next week... you might enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...