Monday, October 4, 2010

Toy Story Party

My son got a Buzz Lightyear from my mum for Christmas last year and has been in love with the Toy Story movies ever since (way before the current Toy Story 3 craze). So the theme for his 3rd birthday in July was obvious.

Here is a photo of my son posing with "Buzz Lightyear". I had a friend agree to dress up as Buzz for the party (but shhhhh, don't tell my son that it wasn't the real Buzz!) I bought the adult-size Buzz jump suit online, but I wasn't a fan of the wings that came with it, so I made my own out of card. The costume also didn't come with a helmet, so I made one out of two plastic bowls stuck together to form a sphere and cut to allow breathing room! My son wore his Buzz Lightyear pyjamas that I found at the Disney store online and his home-made wings too. (Yes, he is STILL wearing those wings at home!)


I turned my home into the movie set of Toy Story. Our living room become "Star Command".


For party favors, I used store-bought Buzz Spaceship favor boxes and included Toy story goodies, such as pencils, crayons, and board books.


Since the barn and tractor were such a hit, I had to make another over-size cardboard plaything for this party. I made the Buzz Lightyear Spaceship out of a large box. It is accurate to the movie--check, if you don't believe me!


I made Little Green Men cupcakes to go along with the Toy Story cake.


Of course, the whole Toy Story gang were invited to the party!


Our dining room became "Andy's Room", complete with the blue sky and cloud background featured in the first Toy Story movie. I made a custom banner reading "Sohan's Turning 3", based on the Toy Story movie logo.


Again, I designed the cake and had a local bakery make it for me. I added cake toppers ans star candles to complete the cake.



I made Space Ranger certificates, which Buzz autographed for each child, while taking photos with them.


I bought alien party hats online for the children to wear at the party.


Etch had a special message for my son that day...

We took photos of each child in the Buzz Spaceship.


I made a Toy Story banner out of the movie posters. Since my son was turning 3 and Toy Story 3 has just been released, it worked out perfectly!


Our family room become "Sunnyside Daycare" from the Toy Story 3. I set up the room with a ball pit, alphabet mats on the floor, Sohan's "art" hung on a clothes line with pegs, and LOTS of toys.


Our kitchen become "Pizza Planet", featuring pizzas and other Toy Story themed food and also the amusement arcade (a.k.a the party games). We played Pin the Face on Potato Head. I made the over-sized potato head face and body parts out of card stock backed with magnetic sheeting. We also had a "Mr Potato Head Factory" where the children got to make their own Mr. Potato Head out of real potatoes and assorted craft supplies. Finally, we had the "Claw" game, where the children pulled plastic aliens out of a bowl filled with rice, using kitchen tongs.


I have linked this post to:


16 comments:

  1. What a cool dad, love the costumes. This had to be a "blast" to attend ;)
    Those certificates are an awesome party favor idea...did you do a photo opp for all the guests in that big Buzz box?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He he he, that's not his dad! That's a friend who was kind enough to agree to be "Buzz". Shhh, don't tell my son though; he thought it was the "real" Buzz Lightyear. We tried to take photos of all of the kids in the spaceship, but it's hard to pin down 3 year olds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG
    THAT ITS THE COOLEST PARTY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love Buzz!!!
    amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! Just WOW!!! You seriously outdid yourself! LOVING ALL the special deco details and that cake... what?!!! It's insane! lol I could go on and on! BRAVO!
    Genevieve AKA superchick!
    www.celebrate2da.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. amazing! how did you make the wings?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much do you want for that amazing space ship?! It rocks! and I'm serious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tia, I wish I still had it for you! I wasn't a blogger back then and didn't really know about the party blogging community. I got rid of it (and all the other stuff I made for the party) on craigslist forway too little money for the amount of time that went into making it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you get the cloud paper for the wall. I need it so bad!! You did a GREAT job on this party!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg good job... can you teach me how to make the rocketship? y son's bday party is coming and he like buzz. do you have a patter for that? how much is the buzz custume and where did you buy that. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you tell me where you got the cloud paper from? It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Answers to questions:

    The cloud background is bulletin board paper I found at Michaels.

    The rocketship is made from a cardboard box that contained our coffee table! I cut it to taper the top, cut out windows and attached flat boxes for wings. I painted the whole thing with acrylic craft paint.

    The buzz costume is part bought and part made. I bought the jump suit online, but wasn't happy with it, so I made wings from cardboard and painted them. I also made the helmet, using two large plastic bowls glue together and cut to fit around Buzz's head.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all these ideas...what an amazing party! Can you tell me where you got the template you used for the Space Ranger certificates?

    Thanks!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where did you get the template for the certificates they are so cute! Also great cake!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome party...great idea.... Could please share the space rangers certificates i am planning to have my sons party soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi I do understand the liable issues ..... Could you please write the wording for the certificate... Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  16. where did u buy the space ship goodie boxes ???? i cant find them anywhere

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...